Is Silverfish a Centipede?

The silverfish and the house centipede both have similar appearances, but their differences make them distinct. They both have venomous bites and they both live in warm, humid environments. While the silverfish are a relatively common pest, the house centipede is an elusive species. It is a nocturnal creature that lives outdoors.

Silverfish are generally grayish-silver in color and they have six short legs. Their antennae are long and they have three leg-like appendages on their abdomen. A silverfish is able to eat a variety of foods. These include dried foods and carbohydrates.

Silverfish can damage books, papers, and other items in the home. It is a good idea to contact an exterminator if you discover silverfish in your home. If you do not have access to a professional, you can use a sticky trap or a diatomaceous earth solution to kill them.

House centipedes are much more elusive, and they are often spotted in dark, damp corners or under sinks. Generally, they are not a health risk. However, they are venomous and they can cause anaphylactic shock if they bite.

They do not transmit diseases to humans, but their venomous bite can be harmful to children and people with allergies to bee stings. Because of their venomous nature, it is important to keep them out of your home.

Silverfish and the house centipede both can be destructive to the home. However, the house centipede does not reproduce in large numbers, so it is a less serious problem.

Our top picks for getting rid of silverfish

These are our 6 TOP picks for getting rid of your silverfish infestation. These products are carefully selected by our team to give you the most value for your money!