Silverfish are nocturnal insects that live in moist, protected areas of the natural environment. These bugs move quickly and usually are not poisonous. However, they can damage furnishings and other items in your home.
If you see silverfish in your home, it’s important to get rid of them. Not only can they damage your property, they can also be harmful to your pets.
These bugs will eat paper, fabric, and other things in your home. They are especially attracted to starch and sugary foods. You may notice they have scraped up fabric or left small holes in your furniture.
While they’re not toxic to humans, their skin can trigger allergic reactions in some people. This may cause you to feel itchiness, drool, and have difficulty breathing.
Unlike cockroaches, silverfish are not known to carry dangerous diseases. In addition, they do not bite people.
Luckily, silverfish are not a big threat to you or your children. Their weak jaws can’t pierce your skin.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t get rid of them. A combination of pesticides and natural remedies can help you to rid your home of these bugs.
The first step to controlling silverfish is to remove external food sources. For example, you might want to dispose of all your pet’s bedding. Also, you might want to check your food for bugs.
Secondly, you should try to control the humidity of your home. High levels of humidity can be harmful to your health, and they can also attract silverfish. To do this, you can buy dehumidifiers.