Unlike mosquitoes, bedbugs, and other bloodsucking insects, spiders do not bite people. This is because their fangs are too small to puncture human skin. Instead, they inject venom into the skin. Spider venom is not toxic. However, it can cause symptoms such as itching, redness, and swelling.
Depending on the species of spider, spider bites can be serious or mild. Venomous spiders can lead to serious complications, while harmless species can cause localized itching and swelling. Regardless of the severity of the reaction, there are some important steps to take to ensure you are safe.
First, get to the doctor immediately if you believe you have been bitten by a venomous spider. Your medical provider can provide you with medications to treat the symptoms. They can also provide you with information about the proper use of certain medications.
If you are unable to get to the doctor, you can apply an over-the-counter hydrocortisone ointment to soothe the pain. You can also use ice to reduce the pain. It is recommended that you keep the ice covered with a cloth, as you do not want to put it directly on the affected area.
Another important step to take is to find a way to kill the spider. The majority of spiders are not aggressive, and will not attack unless you are provoked. When you find one, however, it is important to catch it. Do not crush it as that will only aggravate the bite.