Will Silverfish Bite You?

If you think a silverfish has infested your house, you should contact a pest control company immediately. The infestation can damage your property, causing a lot of havoc.

Silverfish are nocturnal insects, and they only come out during the night. They hide in cracks, holes, and crevices. As soon as they are found, they run away.

Although they have been known to bite people, they are not dangerous to humans. They also do not carry diseases.

However, their skin can cause allergies in some people. An allergic reaction to a silverfish bite may lead to respiratory problems. Symptoms may include itchiness, swelling, and respiratory issues. Depending on the severity of the allergy, you may require medical treatment.

Some people report a sharp feeling when the silverfish attaches to their skin. This may be due to a chemical in the silverfish’s skin called Tropomyosin. It is also present in shrimp and shellfish.

If you suspect an infestation, you can treat the area with cedar shavings or water mixed with citrus essential oils. Boric Acid is also an effective pesticide. It is usually available in any home and can be used in bathtubs, baseboards, and cupboards.

Another way to remove the infestation is to put bait packs in the areas where the silverfish likes to live. Bait packs contain a poison, and the silverfish will ingest it.

If the infestation is extensive, you should consider calling a pest control company. In addition, you can try using lavender essential oils, which have been proven to be effective as an insect repellent.