How Common Are Silverfish in Homes?

Silverfish are small, silvery insects that are about half an inch long. They look like fish and can be found in moist places. In some instances, they can become a problem.

Although these little bugs are harmless to humans, they can cause damage to your property. To prevent an infestation, be sure to cover cracks and holes in your home and reduce humidity levels.

Silverfish are attracted to moisture-rich environments such as damp basements, laundry rooms, bathrooms, and leaf piles close to your house. It is also a good idea to keep pets out of your home.

While there are no known diseases associated with silverfish, they can be a source of allergens. Some people can be allergic to the byproducts they excrete, such as black pellet feces, yellow excreta, and skin molts. These byproducts can be mixed with the dust and other allergens you already have in your house.

Thankfully, silverfish are fairly elusive, so you are unlikely to be bitten. However, if you are allergic to these insects, they can be a serious hazard.

If you have a silverfish infestation, there are a variety of methods to eliminate them. This is not a quick and easy fix, though. The first step is to eliminate their food source, and then eliminate their hiding spots.

The best way to do this is to use a combination of methods. A dehumidifier can help remove the humidity, while sealing leaking pipes can help keep them out.

Our top picks for getting rid of silverfish

These are our 6 TOP picks for getting rid of your silverfish infestation. These products are carefully selected by our team to give you the most value for your money!