Can You Be Allergic to Silverfish?

You may have heard that silverfish can cause an allergic reaction. The itchiness and swelling of your skin can be caused by the scales that they leave behind when they die.

Silverfish are tiny, gray-colored insects with antennae on their back. They are usually found in dark, moist areas around the home. Their bodies are half an inch or so in length and have six fast-running legs.

They feed on protein, sugar, carbohydrates, and fibers. Silverfish are often found in kitchens, bathrooms, and attics.

They aren’t venomous. However, they can eat human hair and fabric. They can also get into your house by crawling through window frames, pipes, and plumbing. This is a very real problem for homeowners.

As silverfish shed their skins, they can leave a yellow stain on their surroundings. This can be found on clothing, wallpaper, books, and more. If you are noticing yellow stains in your household, it is likely that you are infected by a silverfish infestation.

If you are sensitive to them, you could develop rhinitis, a condition that causes inflammation of the nose. This is particularly common among children and those with respiratory problems. It can make breathing difficult and cause coughing and sneezing.

In addition to causing allergies, silverfish can be a pest in your home. They can be very costly to remove and paint, and can damage personal belongings.

When you’re dealing with an infestation, it is important to use a comprehensive silverfish extermination plan. There are other ways to prevent the spread of these creatures, including cleaning up any traces of the infestation.