Are Silverfish Bad For Humans?
There’s no doubt about it: silverfish are annoying pests that can be quite a problem. They can ruin clothing and wallpaper, and destroy books.
Silverfish can be found throughout the home, particularly in dark, humid areas. However, they are not harmful if eaten, and do not carry disease. If you have a large infestation of these bugs, you may want to consider a pest control service.
The best way to get rid of silverfish is to vacuum. They have a tendency to nest and breed in places with high moisture. This includes the kitchen, bathrooms, and basements.
The only sure-fire way to prevent silverfish is to eliminate the moisture they need to survive. To keep these insects from getting inside your home, store all food in containers with lids and remove any damp objects. You can also use sticky insect traps along baseboards and corners.
Silverfish like to feed on decaying materials, so if you have old books, magazines, or papers lying around, it’s a good idea to put them away in a safe place. Some people think silverfish will crawl into their ears, but this is rare.
Some people are allergic to the dust that these insects produce. Others are allergic to the scales that they shed when they molt.
These insects are usually found in dark, moist areas such as the bathroom. They are not poisonous, but they can be a problem. While they do not bite, they do eat human hair and tissue.