Head lice can cause a lot of damage, including hair loss. The process of getting rid of them is long and requires a lot of work. There are no over-the-counter treatments that are 100% effective. Most of these treatments contain a variety of chemicals and poisons that can cause irritation, burns, and even hair loss.
In addition to causing hair loss, untreated head lice can affect the health of your scalp. They can block hair follicles and degrade the scalp. This leads to dry hair that is harder to manage and prevents you from brushing it properly, which is essential for fending off hair loss.
Lice are small parasitic insects. They live in human hair and are highly contagious. When infected, the lice will lay around eight eggs, or nits, on your scalp. These eggs are white or yellow in color, and will hatch within a week or two. Another sign that you have head lice is itching, a reaction to the saliva of the parasite. Some people experience small red bumps that may be caused by scratching.
When you notice the lice, don’t panic! You may have mistaken them for dandruff, dirt, or hair spray droplets. If you see more than 1/4 inch of them, you probably have an older infestation. If you have a bad case of head lice, you can try using a lice shampoo.