If you are concerned that you or a family member has head lice, the first thing you need to do is to avoid sharing personal items. This means washing bedding and clothing in hot water and drying them thoroughly. You should also boil hair ties for 10 to 20 minutes and freeze them overnight. However, you should not use pesticide sprays on clothing and furniture because they can be harmful to the environment and your health. If you can’t wash your clothing and furniture, the best way to get rid of the lice is to use a vacuum cleaner to remove the fallen hairs with attached nits.
Lice prefer warm and moist environments. You can try sweeping, vacuuming, or lint rolls to remove any eggs or larvae. If you can’t get the lice off the furniture, you can try using a household product that kills lice and their eggs. But this is not always effective. In some cases, the lice may remain on your couch or other items after the treatments.
If you cannot get rid of the lice on your own, you can try medication. There are over-the-counter and prescription medications that kill lice. However, it is best to avoid the use of these medications for younger children. They may be harmful and may even be toxic, so you should seek medical advice first.