If you’ve ever had head lice, you know that the itch can be awful. In addition to making your head itch, lice can also cause a fever and redness in areas that are not infested. These symptoms can be very common, and they can occur when your body is fighting off the parasite.
Fortunately, you can easily treat head lice at home. If you suspect you’ve been infested with head lice, you should wash your clothes and carefully vacuum all upholstered furniture. Once the head lice are removed, they will die in a few days. However, if you still have head lice after following the recommended treatment, you should consult a dermatologist.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends applying a topical insecticide on children to kill the eggs. You can also try home remedies such as vinegar, mayonnaise, or gasoline. However, you should never use these methods on your own. You can even harm yourself by accidentally inhaling the insecticide.
Another possible side effect of head lice is a severe scalp infection. People who develop a head lice infection will typically experience itchiness. Itching is caused by an allergic reaction to the louse saliva. Some people may become extremely sensitive to this saliva, while others may develop a tolerable tolerance. It is important to treat these outbreaks as soon as possible so that they don’t spread to other people.