Fly bites can be painful and uncomfortable, but they are often not serious. You can treat them at home with topical antihistamines or antiseptics. However, you should seek medical attention if you notice that the bites appear infected or swollen. You should also avoid visiting areas where flies are commonly found, such as forests, marshes, and areas with dense plant life.
Flies have special mouthparts that allow them to penetrate the skin and blood vessels. They also use saliva to inject anticoagulants, which help the blood to flow freely. Most fly bites are harmless but can cause itching and swelling for a few days. If you were bitten by a flie during a time when mosquito-borne diseases were prevalent, it is important to seek medical attention.
Fly bites can also lead to an allergic reaction. While a mild reaction can be harmless, a serious allergic reaction can cause the bite to become very painful. This type of allergic reaction can also cause trouble breathing or dizziness. Moreover, it can lead to lymph node swelling. Fortunately, if you can identify a specific type of fly, you can treat the underlying problem and avoid any further problems.
Deer flies, which are closely related to horse flies, are a common type of fly that can cause severe damage. The bites of deer flies may leave welts or red bumps on the skin. The flies may transmit leishmaniasis. The bite of a deer fly can lead to rashes and hives, as they feed on the blood of their host.