Can You Eat the Fly Agaric Mushroom?

Can You Eat the Fly Agaric Mushroom?

You might have heard of the fly agaric mushroom, but what exactly is it? This fungus is an ephemeral red and white mushroom. The mushroom is so toxic that it was once used as an insecticide. The myth was that if you put a cap of the mushroom in a glass of milk or water, the fungus would kill the flies. While this is technically true, there is no scientific proof that it kills flies.

In some cultures, people used this mushroom for religious rituals. It was even a common ingredient in a hallucinogenic ritual drink in Iran. It is also a popular gift among shamans, who used to give it out as gifts in the late holiday season. And it has been featured in numerous fairy tales, including “Alice in Wonderland.”

A recent study suggests that the ergothioneine found in Fly Agaric mushrooms can help with inflammation and reduce the swelling of lymph nodes. The mushroom also contains large amounts of vitamin B and vitamin D. These vitamins help the body break down food and fight cancer. Since the mushroom grows under limited sunlight, the vitamin D is the purest form.

The Fly Agaric mushroom has several varieties. There are the puffball-like Fly Agaric, the destroying angel, and the peach-colored fly agaric. All of these species contain high levels of ibotenic acid, which is a psychedelic compound. However, the fly agaric is not a safe mushroom to eat.