When Do Ants Bite?

Depending on the species, ant bites can be painful and even harmful to your health. The venom of certain species is toxic and can cause severe allergic reactions. You should always seek medical attention if you think you have been bitten.

The symptoms of an ant bite can include a small red bump, itching and pain. You should also consider using antibiotic ointment to treat your bite. You may also experience swelling or a rash. You may also experience nausea, abdominal cramping, diarrhoea and dizziness.

An ant bite infection can also result in a small blister or pustule. If you experience swelling that lasts more than four days, you should seek medical attention. You can also apply a cold compress to reduce swelling.

You may also develop a mild allergic reaction to ant venom. The venom causes swelling, itchiness and a burning sensation at the bite site. This reaction is IgE-mediated. If you have a severe allergic reaction, you may also develop anaphylaxis, which can be life-threatening.

Ant bites are most common in the southern US. You should be mindful of your surroundings and wear shoes when walking in the woods or in areas where you may come across ant mounds. If you have a severe reaction, you should go to the hospital emergency room right away.

There are several species of ants that are not harmful to humans. The most common species to bite humans are carpenter ants. They are found in homes and buildings.