What Happens When Ants Bite They Inject?

Getting stung by an ant can be a painful experience. If you are bitten by an ant, you should immediately seek medical attention. The bite will generally leave a mark that is red and swollen. You may also experience itching.

Ant bites are rarely fatal, although they can lead to a severe allergic reaction. This is called anaphylaxis and requires emergency medical attention. The symptoms can range from mild to severe and can last for days.

A mild allergic reaction is not dangerous, but may lead to nausea and diarrhoea. Some people experience itching and swelling after getting stung by an ant. The itch can be relieved by an over-the-counter antihistamine cream. A cool compress may help reduce the swelling.

A severe allergic reaction can result in a mastocytosis, which is a build-up of mast cells in the body. The skin can become extremely red, swollen, and painful. In some cases, itching may continue for days. A severe reaction may also involve vomiting, diarrhea, and breathing difficulty.

A severe allergic reaction to a fire ant sting requires emergency medical attention. The symptoms may include burning pain, swelling, hives, and difficulty breathing. You should call 911. If you are unable to get medical attention, you can use an EpiPen (epinephrine) to reverse the anaphylactic reaction.

If you are allergic to fire ants, you should avoid them. They are very aggressive and often sting people. Wear gloves if you are around them.