Silverfish are nocturnal insects that come out at night and hide during the day. They live in damp places like unfinished basements and crawl spaces. In some cases, they can even infest commercial structures.
These tiny wingless insects have a slender body with long legs and three long appendages with bristles on them. The head is wide and flat. It is covered with small, shiny scales, which give them the name.
Silverfish are attracted to high starch foods and carbohydrates, but they can also eat proteins and flour. They can also damage fabric-based items such as clothing.
Silverfish are considered a pest and can cause significant damage to your home. If you want to rid your home of silverfish, it is best to use an insect control company. However, you can do some things yourself. Firstly, reduce humidity in your home. This is because silverfish are attracted to moist areas.
Silverfish have antennae that are long and curved. They can also have a double antenna.
When silverfish are looking for food, they are more likely to find it in your pantry or in dark and damp areas of your home. They can also infest books and paper.
Silverfish are not poisonous. But, they can cause a variety of allergic reactions if they contaminate your food. Some people can even be allergic to the droppings that they leave behind.
Silverfish can be found almost anywhere in your home. They usually live in damp or humid areas, such as your kitchen, bathroom, or basement.