Silverfish do not bite humans. They are not poisonous, though they can cause allergies. However, if you are allergic to the skin of silverfish, you may experience symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as rhinitis and nose inflammation. If you are experiencing an allergic reaction to a silverfish infestation, it is a good idea to call a pest control specialist to come in and treat the problem.
While silverfish are generally safe to live with, they can damage property and furniture. They are known to chew on paper and fabric, causing holes in books and photos. A silverfish infestation can also contaminate food. It is important to treat the infestation before it gets out of hand.
The best way to avoid an infestation is to keep damp areas of your home dry. This means sealing leaky pipes and minimizing water sources. Also, storing food in containers with lids.
Silverfish are known to be attracted to sugary liquids. Using dehumidifiers is a good way to decrease moisture and prevent an infestation. Keeping your clothes and items as clean as possible is another good way to prevent silverfish from invading.
Most people are unaware of the damage silverfish can cause. The damage can be done to fabrics, wallpaper, clothing, paper and even your old family photographs.
Although they are not dangerous to human health, they can contaminate your food. In addition, they are often introduced into buildings through cardboard cartons of books.