Do Silverfish Make You Itch?

Silverfish are small, creepy, and nasty looking insects. These little bugs are nocturnal and rarely seen during the day. However, they can cause problems in your home and on your food.

Unlike most common household pests, silverfish have no need to bite humans for food. Instead, they prefer to feed on carbohydrates, starches, and sugars. If you have a silverfish infestation in your home, you may notice that your books are missing pages, that your wallpaper is ripped, or that your clothes are ruined.

Silverfish are notorious for leaving behind a mess. Some of this debris includes feces and shed skin. While these materials are usually harmless, some people are allergic to them. They can also transfer bacteria from the trash to their food.

Silverfish molt multiple times in their lives. This can be a cause for concern, especially if you have children with respiratory allergies. When silverfish molt, their skin turns into dust. The dust can trigger an allergy or sneezing.

The best way to get rid of silverfish is to exterminate the entire infestation. But, before you do that, be sure to remove bedding, books, and other items from the affected area. Also, wash them in hot water.

If you are allergic to silverfish, you may experience anaphylactic shock. You should seek medical treatment immediately if you have any symptoms, including coughing, chest pain, and sneezing.

If you have a silverfish infestation in you home, it is a good idea to use some type of insecticide. You can try using diatomaceous earth, which can be sprayed on the walls or floors. Another option is to use a combination of pyrethrins and residual insecticides.