Fortunately, silverfish are not known to carry diseases or pathogens. Nevertheless, some people may develop allergic reactions to them. Usually, these symptoms are respiratory or skin. The severity of the reaction varies from person to person. If these symptoms don’t go away in a day, you should seek medical help.
Silverfish are usually found in paper, books, and cardboard boxes. They feed on sugar, dust, fibers, and other organic materials. Although they are not poisonous, they can cause damage to your belongings.
They are extremely active and fast. If you find that you have a silverfish infestation, you need to hire a professional to get rid of them. It’s also a good idea to reduce humidity and increase ventilation.
They also leave behind scales. These are sometimes mixed with general dirt in your home. However, if you are sensitive to the dust, the scales can trigger allergic reactions.
People with respiratory allergies are particularly susceptible to silverfish allergens. Symptoms include inflammation of the membranes of the nose, itching, and breathing difficulties. Asthma and bronchial asthma can also occur.
In addition, silverfish can aggravate asthma. To prevent the growth of the allergen, you should keep your home as clean as possible. You should also remove any external food sources, and store food in airtight containers.
Allergies to silverfish can be caused by their bite, exoskeleton, or by breathing in their debris. If you have any symptoms of an allergy, call a pest control specialist immediately.