Are Spiders Poisonous?

If you are in a home or office where spiders are common, you should be aware of the risk of being bitten by a poisonous spider. While the majority of spiders are harmless, some are venomous, meaning they inject venom through their fangs. This venom is then absorbed through the skin or gastrointestinal tract, and can cause damage.

Venomous spiders are classified based on the venom they contain and the symptoms they cause. The two species of spiders that pose a high risk of bites are the black widow and the redback.

Both spiders inject venom through their fangs. Depending on the type of spider, venom can cause severe muscle and nerve damage. For instance, the brown recluse spider’s venom is 15 times stronger than the rattlesnake’s, and it can cause tremors, diarrhea, and even breathing difficulties.

Another venomous spider, the black widow, is more aggressive than the brown recluse, and it can cause permanent neurological damage. Its venom can cause hypertension, pyrexia, and abdominal muscle cramps. Children are especially at risk.

Most people are bitten by a venomous spider and do not experience any serious effects. However, it is important to understand the symptoms of venomous spiders and how to react when bitten. A person bitten by a venomous species should wash the area with soap and water, and elevate the bite.

A few spiders are capable of producing enough venom to inflict serious damage. Some of the most venomous spiders are the armed spiders, the black widow, and the funnel web spider. These arachnids are usually found outside, but occasionally will find their way into homes or workplaces.