Can Silverfish Kill You?

Silverfish are small wingless insects that have been around for a long time. They are nocturnal and live in moist areas. These insects aren’t poisonous, but they can ruin your property.

If you see silverfish in your home, they are most likely consuming food scraps, like food, cardboard and books. The most common place for these critters to reside is in the basement.

When these critters aren’t eating, they can damage your clothes and furniture. They also can cause an allergic reaction in some people, so you may need to remove them from your home.

Some signs of a silverfish infestation include irregular feeding marks and feces. These may look like holes, notches along the edge or surface etchings.

You may be able to get rid of these pests by implementing a few simple changes. One of the first things you can do is to reduce humidity. Dehumidifiers will help keep your home cool and dry. Another way to prevent an infestation is to seal the smallest cracks and crevices with caulk.

Using diatomaceous earth is a good way to kill silverfish. Diatomaceous earth is an insecticide made from ground-up fossils of diatoms. It can be purchased in most hardware stores.

Another great natural insecticide is boric acid. Boric acid is a poison to most insects, but it’s not safe for humans. Be sure to use it only in areas that don’t contain pets or children.

For a comprehensive silverfish extermination, it’s a good idea to contact a pest control company. In addition to killing silverfish, this service will also help you protect your home from future infestations.