You might be wondering how do head lice bite. Despite their name, these tiny parasites do not usually cause any visible symptoms. In most cases, lice will only leave a small red or itchy spot on the head. These bites are a reaction to lice’s saliva and will last up to 48 hours. Some people can also develop an allergic rash on the back of the neck or shoulders after experiencing a head lice infestation.
When the symptoms of head lice begin, you should wash your hair and clothes in hot water with detergent. This will prevent the spread of the parasites. In addition, you should not share bedding, towels, or clothing with anyone else. If you do find lice, you should notify your school or nursery as soon as possible. Some schools may refuse to let infected children attend school until the condition has completely been treated.
The majority of head lice infections are transmitted by direct contact with the hair of infested people. They can also be transmitted through inanimate objects and personal belongings. The parasites live on human hair and have special feet for holding on. The most common places they can infest are the nape of the neck, hair, and over the ears. In some severe cases, an infestation can even result in blood loss. Some people may also experience allergic reactions to lice.
There are many different treatment options for head lice. You can purchase a medicated shampoo in a pharmacy, or you can try natural remedies to get rid of the problem. You can also try applying olive oil on the affected areas. You should leave the mixture on the scalp for at least 12 hours before washing it off. For more powerful treatments, visit a doctor.