Do Head Lice Live on Furniture?

Do Head Lice Live on Furniture?

If you have discovered that you or a child has been exposed to head lice, the best way to get rid of the infestation is to wash your furniture, bedding, and pillows in hot water. You should also boil any hair ties in hot water for at least 10 minutes and leave them in the freezer overnight. You should also avoid using pesticide sprays on bedding and furniture as they can potentially expose your family to harmful chemicals. If you have decided to use a fumigant, remember that fumigants have not been proven to work against head lice and can actually introduce risks to your family.

To kill head lice, it is best to avoid head-to-head contact with the infested person. It is also important not to share bed linens, towels, or combs with the infected person. You should also wash and dry bed linens and clothing that you have shared with an infested person. Do not use pesticides or fumigant sprays as they can be toxic if ingested or absorbed through the skin.

Furniture can be a possible source of head lice, but the chances are extremely low. Furniture is frequently used by families, and a louse can fall to it from someone’s head. Lice are unlikely to live on furniture for long because they prefer human heads, so lice infestation on furniture is unlikely to be dangerous.